Wednesday, December 23, 2009

poison Tree

I was angry with my friend:
I told my wrath, my wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe;
I told it not, my wrath did grow.

And I watered it in fears,
Night & morning with my tears;
And I sunned it with my smiles
And with soft deceitful wiles.

And it grew both day and night,
Till it bore an apple bright;
And my foe beheld it shine,
And he knew that it was mine,

And into my garden stole
When the night had veiled the pole:
In the morning glad I see
My foe outstretched beneath the tree

William Blake

Today in bus i realized i was reciting some lines without my knowledge and later i realized it was lines from william blake's poison tree one of my favorite poems from college.
If you think it is a simple nursery rhyme , reread to understand the depth and truth in it , It actually upholds tolereance and frankness which in present society we seem to have lost.

3 comments:

  1. I'm not good at remembering poems, or names of poets. But I remember summary of the poem, I read during high school days. It talks about different "Flavors" of Red. Perhaps it went like this...


    Once all Flavors of "Red" decided to meet.

    There was Red of Rose.

    There was Red of Funeral Flame.

    There was Red of Evening Sun.

    There was Red of Love.

    .....

    .....

    And then there was Red of Human Rage. It was there outside the meeting. Fuming. It couldn't accommodate other reds.

    It is my favorite poem. Do you know / remember about this poem and author? I've been searching to get the exact lines of poem... but in vain.

    Have a nice day.


    Neo

    ReplyDelete
  2. @neo me not good at poems either in case i find i shall let you know.

    ReplyDelete

 
Visit blogadda.com to discover Indian blogs